Tuesday, April 17, 2007

bittersweet

God saying hello at the Vatican

The sky was throwing red lights onto the buildings as a thunderstorm gathered.



At the weekly flea market at Porta Portese, the chandeliers were hung on racks like dresses.

An art exhibit made of thousands of "garbage men" to boost awareness of how wasteful we are was surprising beautiful, especially in the rain.





Matt and I went to Renzo Piano's Auditorium to hear a concert by the Italian composer Ludovico Einaudi. We heard his music playing in a cafe in Assisi and I got his name, and then, weeks later, we found out he was peforming in Rome! One of those odd twists...







We went to the Vatican for Easter Mass. We got there early, and watched as people (young and old) literally ran to get good seats. We ended up with pretty good ones ourselves, I thought.

Thousands and thousands of people









Matt and I went to a light show done by modern artists at a Renaissance Villa right behind Campo. We waited in line for about an hour, and randomly got into the second to last group of the night!
We weren't supposed to take pictures but I snuck some at this exhibit, where you layed on mattresses on the floor surrounded by billowing white curtains in a room flooded with black light.







One day when we were working in studio a group of dancers started dancing midair off of a billboard...


When they were done dancing, they painted in the letters



There are so many things I still want to do in Rome, but I have no time left to do them. We technically have about two weeks left, but in reality I have four days- the days left after the project is done. It's so strange to think that soon my everyday world will become memories of things that I won't be able to experience again for years, if not ever again. I don't know how what comes next will be able to compete with what I've already done this semester.


left behind: keys at 4 a.m.

No comments: